The Robotics and Intelligent Systems Laboratory at City University of Hong Kong invites undergraduate and master students with a background in Mechanical, Electrical Engineering, or related discipline to apply for PhD positions for research in Robotics, Bio-Inspired Robots, and Micro Aerial Vehicles. We are seeking 2-3 exceptionally qualified students for the upcoming Fall 2022 intake.
The Robotics and Intelligent Systems Lab has maintained a high standard in research and publication, while City University of Hong Kong provides an outstanding environment to undertake postgraduate research leading to a PhD. CityU is currently ranked #48 in the 2021 QS World Universities Ranking.
Candidates holding a Bachelor’s or Master’s degree are expected to complete the PhD in four years. The research areas include micro aerial vehicles, bio-inspired robots, flight dynamics and control, etc.
Interested candidates are highly encouraged to initiate contact with Dr Chirarattananon to express their interest and consider applying to the Hong Kong PhD Fellowship Scheme at email@example.com.
Financial support for the successful candidates will be provided via the HK PhD Fellowship Scheme or PhD studentships:
- HK PhD Fellowship Scheme: The Fellowship provides an annual stipend of HK$319,200 (approximately US$40,900) and a conference and research-related travel allowance of HK$13,300 (approximately US$1,700) per year to each awardee. For applicants from non-English speaking universities, the minimum English proficiency requirement (TOEFL score of 79 or IELTS score of 6.5) must be met. The application deadline is on 1 December 2021.
- PhD Studentships: The university will provide a monthly stipend of about HK$17,510 (subject to revision). Students are responsible for the monthly tuition fee of HK $3,508. For applicants from non-English speaking universities, the minimum English proficiency requirement (TOEFL score of 79 or IELTS score of 6.5 or CET band 6 score of 490) must be met. The regular application deadline is on 31 December 2021.
Alternatively, self-financing students are also accepted. Please indicate your interest to Dr Chirarattananon at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Further information can be found at the following websites:
HKPFS- UGC: https://cerg1.ugc.edu.hk/hkpfs/index.html
MPhil Research Students
The Department of Mechanical and Biomedical Engineering also offers a 2-year Master of Philosophy research degree for self-financing students. Self-financing students are responsible for a monthly tuition fee of HK$7,016. Students interested in research projects at The Robotics and Intelligent Systems Laboratory should make an enquiry to Dr Chirarattananon for the application procedure. Applications can be accepted all year round.
Joint PhD Programme under Mainland Collaboration Schemes
City University of Hong Kong offers a joint programme with partner mainland universities. Current PhD students from the following institutions may apply to carry out research at the Robotics and Intelligent Systems Laboratory through this scheme:
- University of Science and Technology of China (USTC)
- Huazhong University of Science and Technology (HUST)
- Xian Jiaotong University (XJTU)
- University of China Academy of Science (UCAS)
- Wuhan University (WHU)
- Beihang University (BUAA)
- Harbin Institute of Technology (HIT)
哈爾濱工業大學 (哈工大 )
- Nankai University (NKU)
- Shanghai Jiaotong University (SJTU)
- Zhejiang University (ZJU)
- Nanjing University (NJU)
Interested students must meet the English requirements (TOEFL score of 79 or IELTS score of 6.5 or CET-6 score of 490, this may vary slightly across home institutions). The application must be made to the home institution by 31 Jan or 31 Mar with the consent of the academic advisor. Students interested in performing research at the Robotics and Intelligent Systems Laboratory should make an enquiry to Dr Chirarattananon.