Join Our Robotics and Intelligent Systems Lab!
We are a leading research lab, currently focusing on cutting-edge projects in hybrid locomotion, bio-inspired flight, physical intelligence, and adaptive morphology. Our lab is located at City University of Hong Kong. The Robotics and Intelligent Systems Lab has maintained a high standard in research and publication, while the City University of Hong Kong provides an outstanding environment to undertake world-class research. CityU is currently ranked #54 in the 2023 QS World Universities Ranking.
updated: 6 May 2023
We are currently seeking 2-3 postdoctoral researchers to join our team.
As a postdoctoral researcher in our lab, you will have the opportunity to work on a variety of exciting projects at the forefront of the field. You will collaborate with a team of researchers and engineers to develop innovative solutions to challenging problems in novel robotic systems inspired by nature, including micro aerial vehicles, flying robots, and hybrid locomotion devices. We aim to achieve enhanced capabilities, adaptability and “intelligence” in robotic systems through insights from biology, soft robotics and machine learning.
Currently, we have openings for 2-3 postdocs to work on exciting projects related to:
1) Resilient and adaptive micro drones: Developing micro aerial vehicles with variable morphology, reconfigurable wings and intelligent control for enhanced flight stability, maneuverability and safety in unstructured environments.
2) Morphing soft robots: Designing robotic systems with adaptable soft bodies, laminated structures and compliant mechanisms that can reshape their morphology, kinematics and dynamics in response to environmental cues.
3) Bio-inspired hybrid locomotion: Creating robotic platforms that can transition seamlessly between aerial, terrestrial and aquatic mobility using principles from animals with multi-modal locomotion.
Candidates must have a PhD in robotics, mechanical engineering, electrical engineering or a related field. Strong skills in dynamics, control, manufacturing, programming and biologically-inspired design are preferred. Previous experience with flying robots, soft robots or hybrid robots will be advantageous.
We offer a competitive salary, a dynamic and collaborative work environment, and opportunities for professional growth and development. If you are passionate about bio-inspired robotics and micro aerial vehicles and want to work on cutting-edge projects with a top research lab, this is an excellent opportunity to work with leading researchers in bio-inspired robotics and contribute to the development of revolutionary robotic technologies. Please send your CV and a cover letter describing your research interests to Dr. Pakpong Chirarattananon at pakpong.c[at]cityu.edu.hk. We look forward to receiving your application!
The Robotics and Intelligent Systems Laboratory at City University of Hong Kong invites undergraduate and master students with a background in Mechanical, Electrical Engineering, or related disciplines to apply for PhD positions for research in Robotics, Bio-Inspired Robots, and Micro Aerial Vehicles. We are seeking 2-3 exceptionally qualified students for the upcoming Fall 2024 intake.
Candidates holding a Bachelor’s or Master’s degree are expected to complete the PhD in four years. The research areas include micro aerial vehicles, bio-inspired robots, flight dynamics and control, etc.
Interested candidates are highly encouraged to contact Dr Chirarattananon to express their interest and consider applying to the Hong Kong PhD Fellowship Scheme at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Financial support for the successful candidates will be provided via the HK PhD Fellowship Scheme or PhD studentships:
- HK PhD Fellowship Scheme: The Fellowship provides an annual stipend of HK$331,200 (approximately US$42,460) and a conference and research-related travel allowance of HK$13,800 (approximately US$1,760) per year to each awardee. For applicants from non-English speaking universities, the minimum English proficiency requirement (TOEFL score of 79 or IELTS score of 6.5) must be met. The application deadline is on 1 December 2023.
- PhD Studentships: The university will provide a monthly stipend of about HK$17,510 (subject to revision). Students are responsible for the monthly tuition fee of HK $3,508. For applicants from non-English speaking universities, the minimum English proficiency requirement (TOEFL score of 79 or IELTS score of 6.5 or CET band 6 score of 490) must be met. The regular application deadline is on 31 December 2021.
Alternatively, self-financing students are also accepted. Please indicate your interest to Dr Chirarattananon at email@example.com.
Further information can be found at the following websites:
HKPFS- UGC: https://cerg1.ugc.edu.hk/hkpfs/index.html
MPhil Research Students
The Department of Mechanical and Biomedical Engineering also offers a 2-year Master of Philosophy research degree for self-financing students. Self-financing students are responsible for a monthly tuition fee of HK$7,016. Students interested in research projects at The Robotics and Intelligent Systems Laboratory should make an enquiry to Dr Chirarattananon for the application procedure. Applications can be accepted all year round.
Undergraduate Student Researchers
Eager and motivated undergraduate students at City University of Hong Kong from any departments or colleges are welcome to join us. Particularly for students interested in research and graduate studies, we encourage interested students to join us early (in their first or second year) to receive ample training and make an impactful contribution. Several of our previous undergraduate members have published journal papers as the first author!
Joint PhD Programme under Mainland Collaboration Schemes
City University of Hong Kong offers a joint programme with partner mainland universities. Current PhD students from the following institutions may apply to carry out research at the Robotics and Intelligent Systems Laboratory through this scheme:
- University of Science and Technology of China (USTC)
- Huazhong University of Science and Technology (HUST)
- Xian Jiaotong University (XJTU)
- University of China Academy of Science (UCAS)
- Wuhan University (WHU)
- Beihang University (BUAA)
- Harbin Institute of Technology (HIT)
哈爾濱工業大學 (哈工大 )
- Nankai University (NKU)
- Shanghai Jiaotong University (SJTU)
- Zhejiang University (ZJU)
- Nanjing University (NJU)
Interested students must meet the English requirements (TOEFL score of 79 or IELTS score of 6.5 or CET-6 score of 490, this may vary slightly across home institutions). The application must be made to the home institution by 31 Jan or 31 Mar with the consent of the academic advisor. Students interested in performing research at the Robotics and Intelligent Systems Laboratory should make an enquiry to Dr Chirarattananon.